Criminal Justice, Law & Security
Juvenile Justice

If you want to make a difference in your community, be an advocate for the welfare and safety of troubled children and adolescents, and assist families in addressing difficulties stemming from drug and alcohol abuse, violence, poverty, mental illness, and/or child abuse and neglect, a degree in Juvenile Justice may be a great fit for you.

Types of Degrees

Juvenile Justice students can pursue an associate degree (2 years), bachelor's degree (4 years), or master's degree (6-7 years). In this field, an associate or bachelor's degree is typically required for entry-level probation and correctional officer positions while a master's degree can lead to social work-related positions focused on the treatment and rehabilitation of troubled juveniles via local, federal, and/or private agencies.

Admission Requirements

A high school diploma or equivalent is required, with a strong academic background and experience working with children and adolescents helping applicants obtain acceptance into their desired school. Each school has its own specific requirements, making it important for you to explore several options before settling on a particular school.

Career Opportunities After Earning A Juvenile Justice Degree

The range of career opportunities available to someone with a degree in Juvenile Justice include:

  • Juvenile Probation Officer
  • Juvenile Correctional Treatment Specialist
  • Court Liaison
  • Information based on national data, not school-specific information. Conditions in your area may vary.

Post Graduate Salary Information

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median salary for Probation Officers and Correctional Treatment Specialists was $54,290 in 2019. (1)

Note that the average salary varies widely not only depending on career chosen, but on geographical location and employer. Conditions in your area may vary.


  1. Bureau of Labor Statistics

Careers associated with these educational opportunities often require additional degrees and certifications not offered as part of the educational opportunities presented by this website.

Information based on national data, not school-specific information. Conditions in your area may vary.